Children and Family Services in the Community
- The Watauga County Public Library in Downtown Boone offers interactive and fun activities for children during the year and during the summer. You can find more information here (https://www.arlibrary.org/watauga-childrens-services/watauga-children).
- The Children’s Playhouse (https://goplayhouse.org/) offers great indoor and outdoor activities for children in the community. The Playhouse offers educational activity and musical activities to help students expand their learning.
- Watauga County has an excellent Parks and Recreation program (http://www.wataugacounty.org/App_Pages/Dept/ParksRec/home.aspx) where they offer aquatics, athletics, and other special programs for members of our community. The Parks and Recreation Center offers special programs, equipment rental, and also host special Olympic events. They offer summer camps for students who seek adventure and who also focus more on dance.
- The Hunger and Health Coalition (https://www.hungerandhealthcoalition.com/services-programs) offers many services for families in the county. They have a food pantry, which gives families a box of food every 2 weeks, a fresh market, a free pharmacy, and other food services. The Hunger and Health Coalition has helped to feed thousands of members of the community.
- Blue Ridge Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (http://www.blueridgepeds.com/) is Watauga County’s only pediatric office. Their office is located centrally and has excellent staff dedicated to the health of our community’s children.
- Watauga Medical Center (https://apprhs.org/wataugamedical/) offers quality medical care to members of the community. The medical center offers many services such as behavioral health, cancer services, cardiovascular services, community health, wellness services, and emergency and urgent care. The hospital also offers family medicine.
- Watauga County (http://www.wataugacounty.org/Default.aspx). This website offers information on how to pay taxes online, the snowline for the county, trash and recycling, property sales, and other useful community resources.
- Watauga County offers a Community Resource Assistance Guide (https://www.ncworks.gov/admin/gsipub/htmlarea/uploads/CRAG/Watauga_County.pdf). This guide has many resources offered in our community for families, children, and much more.
- Western Youth Network (https://www.westernyouthnetwork.org/) has many resources for children in the community. They are located conveniently just a minute from Downtown Boone and even pick up your children from school for their after school programs. They offer mentoring programs, summer camps, and even have a community health program not only in Watauga County but in neighboring counties as well. They work with children who have suffered adverse situations growing up and work with the students to identify the trauma and help them to overcome their situations and strive for success.