Students may request to take courses away from Appalachian. Failure to request prior permission could result in course(s) not being accepted.
If you require credit for courses at the 3000 level or above, you must receive written approval from the departmental chairperson BEFORE submitting your request. Departmental approvals should be sent to the Office of Transfer Services at email@example.com.
App State Online (Distance Education) students are not required to complete this process for North Carolina Community College courses. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
UNC Online: Students seeking courses at another UNC School should use the link provided to search for courses. https://online.northcarolina.edu
Please read the following information regarding Visiting Coursework:
- An Appalachian student who wishes to take coursework at another collegiate institution must receive approval from Appalachian State University PRIOR to enrollment at the other institution. Failure to secure prior approval may result in the coursework being deemed unacceptable for transfer.
- An Appalachian student must be in academic “good standing” (he/she cannot be on academic probation)
- Coursework at the lower division level (1000/2000) is evaluated by the Office of Transfer Services; coursework at the upper division level (3000/4000) is evaluated by the appropriate academic department.
- If a student wishes to take coursework at another collegiate institution while concurrently enrolled at Appalachian, the combined total of credit hours for which she or he will be allowed to enroll cannot exceed 18 semester hours.
- Permission may not be granted if the course for which the student is requesting to take at another institution is scheduled and available at Appalachian during the academic term in question.
- Grades earned at another collegiate institution will not be computed in or allowed to affect grade-point-average at Appalachian.
- To graduate from Appalachian, a student must complete the following in residence:
- A minimum of eighteen (18) semester hours in the major and (if applicable) nine (9) semester hours in the minor; and
- At least 25% of the credit hours required for the degree
Visiting Coursework Request Instructions
- Login to your AppalNet account, under Quick LInks choose (direct link to web self-service), then click Student tab, scroll to locate and select Visiting Coursework.
- Review Student Responsibilities and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Select the appropriate term, state, and school.
- Use the search tool on the Transfer Course List to determine how the course(s) you plan to take will transfer back to Appalachian. To determine if courses are applicable to General Education requirements, hover over the ASU TITLE, a window will appear indicating if the course applies to General Education.
- If the course you wish to take is not found on the Transfer Course List, email the course description to the Office of Transfer Services at email@example.com. OTS will review the course information and reply indicating if/how the course will transfer to Appalachian.
- Review the schedule of classes from the school you wish to attend and verify the course(s) is offered at the institution.
- When you are ready to select the course(s) you plan to take, click ADD. A window will appear allowing you to select the reason(s) for taking the course. The course(s) will appear at the bottom of the screen. If you have credit for a course, the system will not allow you to add it. Contact the Office of Transfer Services (828-262-7877 or firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions.
- Review the list of courses you have chosen. If there are courses you do not wish to submit, click REMOVE to delete the course. A window will appear to verify the deletion.
- Your request will be forwarded to the appropriate dean's office for review.
- You will be notified at your ASU e-mail account after a decision is made. If approved, a letter will be attached to the email that you can provide to the visiting institution (Transient Approval Form)
- Student should submit a final transcript upon completion of the coursework to the Office of Transfer Services.
- It is the student’s responsibility to communicate with his/her advisor to determine how the course meets degree requirements.
- It is the student’s responsibility to follow the admission requirements and registration procedures at the visiting collegiate institution.
- If you require credit for courses at the 3000 level or above, you must receive written approval from the departmental chairperson before submitting your request. Departmental approvals should be sent to the Office of Transfer Services at email@example.com
- Upon completion of the coursework, the student should submit a final official transcript to the Office of Transfer Services at Appalachian.
- A student will not receive transfer credit for any course with a grade lower than “C”. “C-“and below will not transfer.
- A student cannot repeat a course at another institution in order to remove a low grade earned in a course taken at Appalachian. Grades earned at another collegiate institution will not be computed in or allowed to affect the grade-point-average at Appalachian.
- The approval is only valid for the term indicated.
- A course will not be approved for transfer unless all prerequisites are completed prior to enrollment in the course.
- Failure to request prior permission may result in the course(s) not being accepted.