Questions About Transferring


View information on how to transfer to Appalachian. The application opens in August for the subsequent spring, summer and fall semesters.

All transfer applicants are reviewed and receive decisions on a rolling basis, which means that applicants are reviewed and decisioned until the incoming class is full. Transfer students are encouraged to apply early to have the best chance for admission as well as housing and scholarship opportunities.The suggested application deadlines for transfer students are October 15th for those students hoping to begin the following spring term and February 15th for students hoping to begin the following summer or fall terms.

Usually, a decision is available two to four weeks after the application is submitted and all materials have been received by the University. Your MyMountaineer portal is where you'll receive information regarding your application including missing application materials, an admission decision, and where admitted students will confirm their enrollment and complete enrollment steps (registering for orientation, housing, classes, etc.).

The GPA range for transfer students is 2.7 to 3.4, with 3.1 being the average GPA. Transfer students must meet the admissions requirement of a minimum GPA of 2.25

You must have, at minimum, 12 graded transfer hours on a transcript to apply and be in progress of 24 transfer hours. Applicants with fewer than 24 hours of transferable credit will be reviewed based on high school GPA, SAT or ACT scores, and all attempted college coursework. 


Time to graduation is an individual student process, dependent on many factors, such as the major pursuing, the number of credits transferred in, and the course load taken each semester.  Students should work with their Appalachian academic advisor to create a degree plan.

No. Students can apply at any point but are encouraged to be in progress of 24+ transfer hours.  Students can utilize the Course Equivalency Search to see how their courses will transfer.


On campus housing is required for students that have graduated high school within the past year of starting at Appalachian (freshmen or transfer). For transfer students that graduated high school more than a year ago, on campus housing is available on a space available basis. In the past, only 15-20% of new transfer students live on campus.

The University’s off-campus housing database is a great place to start your search for a place to live in Boone and for roommates. In addition, there are several Facebook group pages where students often post housing needs: Appalachian State Transfers (the Facebook page for Onlilne & Transfer Services) and App State Classifieds (not affiliated with the University). Students should use caution & common sense when connecting with other students through websites or social media.


For on-campus housing, offers are made to students who apply early though they may not hear a decision for a few months. The availability is based on what space is open after returning and first-year students are confirmed so notices may go out as late as May/early summer for new fall students and November/December for new spring students. Appalachian does offer a residence hall just for transfer students! All decisions are sent through your Appalachian State email so make sure you check that frequently.

This is dependent on the type of housing you desire. Some complexes offer amenities like swimming pools, clubhouses and fitness rooms which make the properties more expensive. In addition, some rentals include utilities while others do not. Students should make sure they fully understand the costs prior to signing a lease. Costs can range from $400/month to $800+/month depending on the property.

For new students wishing to live on campus, applications open February 1st for fall and September 1st for spring semester. The off-campus market starts leasing as early as late fall for the following fall though you can still find housing throughout the year. There is more off-campus rentals in Boone than needed though certain complexes do fill early. New spring students usually sublease rentals. Visit our transfer housing webpage for more information.

Transfer of Credits

An official credit evaluation is completed two to three weeks after admission to the university.  You will be notified by email once the evaluation is complete.

  • The Associate of Arts (AA) and the Associate of Science (AS) degree from a North Carolina Community College (NCCC) with all grades of C or better will complete general education requirements. The degree award date must be posted on the final official transcript for general education requirements to be met.

  • The Associate of Arts in Teacher Preparation (AATP) and the Associate of Science in Teacher Preparation (ASTP) from a NCCC with all grades of C or better and a cumulative GPA of at least 2.7 in the degree will complete general education requirements. The degree award date must be posted on the final official transcript.

  • The Associate of Fine Arts (AFA) degree from a NCCC does not complete general education requirements. Individual transfer courses will be added to a student's record, where applicable.

  • The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree from a NCCC does not complete general education requirements. Individual transfer courses will be added to a student's record, where applicable.

  • Out of State Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degrees must be reviewed by the General Education office (email to determine if general education requirements are met.
  • For more information on North Carolina agreements, visit our Articulation Agreement page. If you plan to attend a NCCC prior to attending Appalachian, then you can plan which classes will best align with your intended major by visiting our Transfer Guides page.

You should have an official transcript sent to Appalachian from your current institution. Applicants should send transcripts to the Office of Admissions, ASU Box 32004, Boone, NC 28608. Currently enrolled student should send transcripts to Transfer Admissions and Engagement, ASU Box 32166, Boone, NC 28608. 

No. We accept all applicable credit that would apply to a major at Appalachian. Students must meet Appalachian’s residency requirements for degree completion.

An official college transcript is required from your previous institution in order to award credit (we can not transfer in college credit from a high school diploma). 

Please indicate Appalachian as a recipient school when you take the exam or log into and download your Official Score Report then email to

No. In order for transfer credit to be awarded, Appalachian requires an official transcript.

There may be a few reasons why your courses are not showing:

  • The final official college transcript has not been received.
  • The course may not transfer.
  • The institution lacks the appropriate accreditation.
  • The grade is below a “C”.
  • Further questions should be directed to Online & Transfer Services.

Official transcripts should be sent to: or Office of Admissions, Appalachian State University, PO Box 32004, Boone, NC 28608-2004.

Program of Study

Online & Transfer Services has identified 125+ departmental faculty transfer mentors, dedicated to assisting transfer students through the transfer process and through to graduation. Students are welcome to request assistance arranging a departmental visit by contacting your Transfer Admissions Counselor.

That is dependent on your major.  Some majors require that you declare after 30 hours and completion of RC 2001.  Others, such as Nursing, require a separate application process. Students should consult their departmental website for more information on major specific application requirements.

Students officially declare their major after completion of 30 hours and RC 2001. The majority of transfer students declare their major at the time of orientation. Certain majors do require separate admission requirements for departmental acceptance; students should refer to the departmental website for more information.

Students can change their major by:

  • Newly admitted students should email
  • Current students should work with their academic advisor

Yes.  Students can refer to the Undergraduate Programs page, found here, to learn about the various majors offered at Appalachian.  Students coming from a North Carolina Community College can view Transfer Guides to help understand the classes they would take prior to transfer and their remaining required classes once they transfer to Appalachian. 

Many professors will allow prospective students to observe a class.    Students should contact their Transfer Admission Counselor to further inquire.

Cost/Financial Aid

Tuition and fees are set by the North Carolina legislature and specific costs can be found on Student Accounts website.

New students should go into their FAFSA and add Appalachian’s school code of 002906. Your financial aid will then be calculated for the semesters you plan to attend Appalachian after you are admitted to Appalachian.

There are! Scholarships for transfer students are offered for fall start dates and usually require a scholarship application by March 1. Visit our Scholarships webpage for more information. Once students are enrolled at Appalachian they can apply for many departmental scholarship based on their major.

Financial Aid packages are offered after students have been accepted to Appalachian. Students should refer to Financial Aid’s website for information on how to see their award and any outstanding requirements still needed. If you are eligible for a Financial Aid refund they begin processing after classes begin.

If you are eligible for a refund from your Financial Aid package you can use that for off-campus housing. Keep in mind that refunds are not disbursed until after classes begin so be sure you have the funds for the first month.

Student Support

There are over 450+ clubs and organizations to get involved with at Appalachian! Visit Campus Activities for a club directory or AppSync for information on upcoming events! During the beginning of each semester students should plan to attend Club Expo to meet club officers and learn of involvement opportunities.

Online & Transfer Services is your one-stop location for information, referrals, and support. We have Transfer Student Mentors,  Faculty Transfer Mentors, specific transfer events and clubs (Transfer Student Organization and Tau Sigma Honor Society), and a caring staff. Please let us know how we can help!

While we try hard to make it as smooth as possible, transfer students often do experience some academic and social disorientation during their initial transfer. The good news is that usually this doesn’t last long! For a successful transfer transition students are encouraged to get involved early, talk to your faculty, and reach out to campus resources for help when you need it!


Boone has a free public transportation called AppalCart that connects the campus to the town. Many students living off-campus use AppalCart to get to campus since parking on-campus is limited. There are many bus stops throughout campus. In addition, Appalachian offers students a late night transportation service to get around on campus called Safe Ride.

Visit the Honors College website for more information. Students transferring in a large number of credits may find it difficult to fulfill the requirements of the Honors College - instead they may find departmental honors a better option.

Our instititution is more dedicated than ever to helping military-affiliated students thrive on campus and in the community.  This dedication begins during their transition from service to education, and lasts through to graduation and entering the workforce.  Visit the Student Veterans Services website for more information.

Going abroad is an opportunity to do something new and different during your time at Appalachian. Visit the Office of International Education & Development website for more information.

There’s lots to do on and around campus, whether you’re all about the outdoors, love a good concert, are a movie buff or a gamer.

The graduation rate of transfer students (the rate for the Fall 2016 new transfer cohort) was 23% in two years, 59% in three years, and 71% in four years. Transfer students grataduating in 2019-20 had an average GPA of 3.24. In addition, the retention rate (the rate of the Fall 2019 new transfer cohort that returned for Fall 2020 or graduated) was 85%. 

Yes, many students work both on campus and throughout Boone. Some of the larger on-campus employers include Food Services, University Recreation, and the Library. Students should visit Student Employment for current openings.

NCCC Enrollment Steps

Admitted students should check their MyMountaineer portal regularly as enrollment steps will be added as certain steps are completed.  A complete of enrollment steps can be found on the What happens after I'm admitted? page on the transfer website. 

Admitted students should check their MyMountaineer portal regularly as enrollment steps will be added as certain steps are completed.  A complete of enrollment steps can be found on the What happens after I'm admitted? page on the transfer website. 

Students should check their MyMountaineer portal regularly as some checlist items update after certain steps are completed.  Below are the checklist iems and other helpfulinformation to assist with the transfer process.

____ Credit Evaluation: For transfer and early college students, official credit evaluation will be completed within two to three weeks of being admitted to the university. Students will receive an email from Online & Transfer Services indicating the credit evaluation is ready to be viewed. 
*First year students with transfer credits can review their evaluation within two to three weeks after the advance payment has been received.

____ Pay Advance Deposit: To submit the acceptance agreement and pay the advance payment deposit, students should log in to their MyMountaineer portal. 

____ Set up Email: Set up Appalachian email. Appalachian uses email as our primary mode of communication with students should be are checking it often! 

____ Register for Orientation:

Main Campus Students: This is completed in the MyMountaineer portal. Transfer Orientation is required for all new main campus transfer students and this is when they will work with an advisor to finalize their academic schedule. Transfer Students are also invited to attend Transfer Pre-Orientation Program (T-POP) which supplements the Orientation program with information to prepare  students to start their Appalachian journey.

App State Online Students: Visit the New Student Page to register for Orientation. Upcoming dates are also listed on the site. 

____ Register for Classes

Main Campus Students: will complete an Online Early Registration Advising course prior to Orientation which will teach them how to use our web registration system and choose classes. After completing the course and receiving a PIN through email students can register for classes. Students will meet one-on-one with an advisor during Orientation to discuss theirschedule and make adjustments to class selection if needed.

App State Online Students:  Students are eligible to register for classes with our current students during their registration time based on evaluated credit and once they have confirmed enrollment.  

____ Housing(Not applicable to App State Online students) If students would like to live on campus they need to apply early for on-campus housing! They can find the housing application on their MyMountaineer portal. Transfer students who have been out of high school for more than a year are not guaranteed on-campus housing and space is awarded on a first come, first serve basis (students who graduate from high school within the past year are required to live on campus). Learn more about our transfer residence hall! If students plan to live off-campus there are plenty of options. Visit Off Campus Student Services for information and a database of available rental housing.

____ Financial Aid/Scholarships: Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority deadline and include App’s school code: 002906A. Visit Financial Aid's website for questions. There are a limited number of transfer scholarships available for new transfer students beginning in the fall (unfortunately there are rarely scholarships available for spring start students). The deadline to apply is March 1 - visit Scholarship's website for the application.

____ Immunization Records(Not applicable to App State Online students) Students upload their immunization record and medical history form to Health Services. Students also need to choose or waive their health insurance

____ Submit final transcripts: If students are currently taking college coursework, they need to make sure to send us updated transcripts once new grades are posted. If  they are completing an associate degree ensure the community college has posted the date of graduation on the transcript before sending for us to waive your general education requirements.

____ Parking(Not applicable to App State Online students) Students are able to purchase a parking pass through Parking & Traffic. Choice of parking lot location is dependent on class rank (number of credits we have evaluated). Boone offers a free AppalCart Bus system that many students find convenient.

____ Welcome Weekend(Not applicable to App State Online students) Srtudents should plan to be moved in to  housing in Boone in time to take part in Welcome Weekend! Meeting new friends and getting comfortable on campus is key to a successful transfer!

____ Textbooks: Appalachian uses a textbook rental program which is included in student fees, greatly reducing the costs of textbooks! Students can usually start getting their books a week prior to the beginning of the semester. Learn more!

Still have questions? Feel free to call us in Online & Transfer Services, 828-262-7877 or email at!

NCCC Advising Top Ten Transfer Majors

Refer to our Infographic under Transfer Students at Appalachian for our most recent top 10 transfer majors.

NCCC General Education Requirements

If a student is completing an AA or AS degree, with grades of C or better, general education (gen ed) at Appalachian will be met.  

If a student is NOT completing an AA or AS, the student should plan to complete Appalahcian’s general education requirements.  The information below will help to explain how a student can meet gen ed requirements.

Advisors should consult the transfer guides when assisting students with course selection, as some courses may be required for the major that can also satisfy gen ed requirements.  

2020-2021 NCCC Cross-referenced Gen Ed Checksheet

First Year Seminar:  UCO 1200

  • Students with less than 30 hours of transfer credit will be required to take UCO 1200, unless HUM 220 is completed prior to transferring.

    • Note: 24 hours of transfer credit are needed for admission to the University 

  • ACA 122 does not transfer to satisfy UCO 1200 requirement.

  • Students exempt from UCO 1200 will complete 41 hours of general education.

Writing Across the Curriculum

  • ENG 111 will satisfy RC 1000

  • ENG 112 or 114 will satisfy RC 2001

Quantitative Literacy

  • 4 hours required

  • MAT 143 will transfer as MAT 1010 for 3 hours of math credit

  • MAT 152 or higher will meet the 4 hours of quantitative literacy for gen ed. 

  • Depending on their major, students may need to take a one hour math lab to meet the gen ed requirement. Some majors may have 4th hour built into curriculum.
    • Example:  Elementary Education major transfers with MAT 143; MAT 2030, Mathematics for Elementary Education Teachers, will cover one hour QL requirement.

Wellness Literacy

  • 2 hours required

  • Students can take two PE courses (many enjoy skiing/snowboarding) or another course listed on the gen ed checksheet.

  • Most often recommended courses completed before transferring:

    • PED/HEA 110 (PH 1105)

    • BIO 155/NUT 110/EDU 153 (NUT 2202)

Science Inquiry

  • 8 hours required - two 4-hour lab sciences

  • If completed prior to transferring, students can take two different lab sciences to meet science requirements.

    • Example:  BIO 111 & CHM 151 or AST 111/111A & BIO 110 - all completed at the community college

  • If only one lab science is completed prior to transferring, students will have to complete the science inquiry theme.

    • Example: BIO 111 only completed at the community college; students will have to take BIO 1202/1205 at Appalachian to complete the theme.

Integrative Learning Experience

  • 9 hours required

  • Students should select a theme (bold, underlined titles) and complete three classes within the theme.

  • Themes can be completed at the community college, depending on course availability:

    • From Empire to Globalization

    • How We Tell Stories

    • Social Relations Across Context

Liberal Studies Experience

  • 12 hours required from three different disciplines

  • Students should try to complete designations when selecting liberal studies courses. Possible courses that will complete both requirements are listed below:

    • Fine Arts designation: ART 111, MUS 110 or 112

    • Literary Studies designation: ENG 231, 232, 241 or 242, REL 211

    • Historical Studies designation: HIS 111, 112, 131 or 132

    • Social Sciences designation: ECO 251 or 252, GEO 111, PSY 150, POL 120 or 130, SOC 210