Petition for Credit
A student may petition to have a transfer course equated to a specific Appalachian course by completing the petition process. A designated faculty member from the department will review your petition and decide, at their discretion, to approve or deny. Allow 2 - 3 weeks for a decision (decisions will be communicated via your AppState email). Approved course adjustments will be reflected in your DegreeWorks audit.
NOTE: Applicants who choose not to attend may be required to re-submit a petition for review when applying for a future term.
How to petition:
- Review your Transfer Coursework Evaluation by either:
- logging into DegreeWorks and selecting the Class History link; or by
- logging into AppalNET, clicking on the Student tab, then clicking the Student Records link, then selecting Transfer Coursework Evaluation
- Identify the transfer course that you would like to petition.
- Familiarize yourself with both our Bulletin and our General Education page (select the most recent Programs of Study) to determine which AppState course(s) you wish to receive.
- Complete the Petition for Transfer Credit form (PDF) and submit information to Online & Transfer Services.
** Click here for instructions on an ALTERNATE option for petitioning R C 2001 "Second Year Writing" credit (for students who petitioned an English / Writing course for R C 2001 and were denied)
Petition for General Education Credit
A student may also petition to have a transfer course reviewed for General Education credit. Contact the Office of General Education at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828.262.2028 to initiate a petition for GenEd credit. All supporting documentation (such as a syllabus and/or course description) must be included.
The Office of General Education will decide if course credit should be awarded, and they will notify you via your AppState e-mail.
Petition for Credit Older than 10 Years
Most courses older than 10 years at time of entry/re-entry to Appalachian will transfer initially as elective credit (identified by ELET in the course title). If you wish to have a 10+ year-old course reviewed, please complete the petition process (outlined above).