Petitioning for Credit, Visiting Coursework & UNC Online


Error message

Update: All classes are cancelled for Wednesday

Due to continued inclement weather, all classes are cancelled for Wednesday, January 17. Road conditions vary across the county. For AppalCART schedules visit or the NextBus app ( Please use caution during inclement weather.

For employees, the Adverse Weather Policy remains in effect at Condition 2 (Suspended Operations) for the remainder of January 17. Go to for more information, or contact your immediate supervisor with any questions. Please use caution during inclement weather.

Posted at 10:55am on January 17, 2018.

Petitioning for Credit

A student may petition to have any course designated as Elective credit equated to a specific ASU course or designated as General Education credit by initiating the Transfer Coursework Petition process. Students seeking credit for courses older than ten years must also follow a petition process due to a policy change that became effective in fall 2015 requiring courses older than 10 years from a students' entry/re-entry to Appalachian State University to be validated.

Visiting Coursework

Students can request to take courses away from Appalachian. An Appalachian student who wishes to take coursework at another collegiate institution must receive approval from Appalachian State University PRIOR to enrollment at the other institution. Failure to request prior permission may result in the course(s) not being accepted.

UNC Online

Appalachian State University degree seeking students may register for online courses offered through other UNC Campuses via the University of North Carolina Online website. Students must be approved by the home and host institutions to participate in the program and can begin the approval process by registering for the desired course(s) through the UNC Online site.