Appalachian State University degree seeking students may register for online courses offered through other UNC Campuses via the University of North Carolina Online website. Students must be approved by the home and host institutions to participate in the program and can begin the approval process by registering for the desired course(s) through the UNC Online site. Policies regarding UNC Online can be found on the Registrar's webpage.
How to register for a UNC Online course
- Search for courses through the UNC Online website and decide what course(s) you wish to take by choosing "Courses" from the UNC Online menu. Please Note: The UNC Online World Language Exchange offers less commonly taught languages across the UNC system and the student can view these course offerings by choosing "Exchanges" from the UNC Online menu.
- Utilize the Course Equivalency Search to determine how the course(s) will transfer back to Appalachian. Please contact the Office of Transfer Services if the course does not appear on the Course Equivalency Search to verify transferability. The Visiting Course Request Form is not required of students participating in a UNC Online course.
- Add desired course(s) to the Basket in order to register and complete the registration process by agreeing to the terms of the home and host institutions. Please Note: The Inter-institutional Approval Form is not required of students participating in a UNC Online Course. All decisions and communication occurs within the UNC Online system.
- The home and host institutions will be notified of the student's intent to register for the specified course(s) and will review the registration request(s). A decision will be communicated to the student regarding approval or denial to take the course(s) at the host campus.
- The student must request a final transcript from the host institution be sent to the Office of Transfer Services for final processing. Please Note: Students enrolled in a UNC Online World Language Exchange course do not need to request a final transcript. This process is handled internally between the institutions.
- The Visiting Coursework Request Form is not required of students participating in a UNC Online course.
- The Inter-institutional Approval Form is also not required of students participating in a UNC Online course. All decisions and communication occurs within the UNC Online system.
- It is the student’s responsibility to communicate with his/her advisor to determine how the course meets general education or major requirements for graduation.
- It is the student’s responsibility to follow the admission requirements and registration procedures at the visiting collegiate institution.
- If you require credit for courses at the 3000 level or above, you must receive written approval from the departmental chairperson before submitting your request. Departmental approvals should be sent to the Office of Transfer Services at email@example.com
- You are responsible for requesting the official transcript from the institution immediately following completion of the coursework.
- A student will not receive transfer credit for any course with a grade lower than “C”. “C-“and below will not transfer.
- A student cannot repeat a course at another institution in order to remove a low grade earned in a course taken at Appalachian. Grades earned at another collegiate institution will not be computed in or allowed to affect the grade-point-average at Appalachian.
- The approval is only valid for the term indicated.
- A course will not be approved for transfer unless all prerequisites are completed prior to enrollment in the course.
- Failure to request prior permission may result in the course(s) not being accepted.