Pass/Fail or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades for 2020

Pass/Fail or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades for 2020
We understand that 2020 has brought about unforeseen challenges for all students. As many institutions implement alternative grading options for 2020, below is some additional guidance on how this coursework will be evaluated for students who transfer 2020 credit. This information should be used to help you determine how alternative grading options may impact your admission to the University as well as specific academic majors.  

For purposes of admission:

  • We will use a holistic approach to evaluating student performance.
  • Your transcript will be evaluated to determine your potential for future academic success.
  • Students who are on track for transfer will be given maximum consideration in the review process.
  • Pass/Fail or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades for 2020 will not have an impact on your GPA calculation in the transfer admissions process. 
  • Please note that if you are transferring into a competitive major that requires a course prerequisite grade of “B” or better, the “P” (Pass) or “S” (Satisfactory) may not be sufficient for entry into the major.  

 For the purposes of credit evaluation:

  • Students who receive traditional grades (A, B, C, D, F) will be evaluated for transfer credit using existing transfer credit policies. Students who earn a grade of C or higher in a college-level transferable course will receive credit for their coursework.
  • Students who earn grades of Pass/Fail, Pass/No Credit or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory will receive credit for all courses where a grade of "P" /"Pass" or “S”/”Satisfactory” is awarded.
    • Some competitive majors, such as nursing, may not allow grades of "P" or "Pass" to count towards admission to the major, or major requirements. Students may need to repeat these courses for a letter grade in order to meet admission, prerequisite or major requirements.
    • For prerequisites requirements that require a particular grade in a prerequisite course, a grade of “P” or “Pass” will count for that requirement.  However, students are encouraged to discuss with advisors or faculty teaching that course the advisability of accepting that transfer credit.
  • If you took transferable courses and earned a credit of "P" (Pass) or "S" (Satisfactory), you will receive transfer credit at Appalachian State. 
  • If you took transferable courses and earned grade of “F” (Fail) or “U” (Unsatisfactory), you will not receive transfer credit at Appalachian State.


For current Appalachian student grading policy changes please refer to the Registrar's webpage.