Transfer Student Mentors (TSMs) work closely with transfer students to help them throughout their transition and college experience at Appalachian and help with Orientation, lead Transfer Pre-Orientation (T-POP) sessions, support transfer programming, serve as a mentor to new and incoming students, and create a welcoming environment for transfer students at Appalachian. TSMs develop leadership and mentorship skills through service learning.
- Have transferred to Appalachian State from another college or university
- Attend weekly meetings on Wednesdays at 5:00 PM
- Mentors average 50 - 80 hours of service per semester
- Be able to attend ALL trainings and required events
- Mentors help with Orientations scheduled during the summer session
- Mentors must be available for Orientation and welcome weekend prior to the start of each semester
- Exhibit strong leadership potential and experience
- Be in good academic standing with the University and maintain a GPA average of 2.5 or higher (for any first semester student offered a position, the position will be contingent upon first semester grades)
- Be in good judicial standing with the University
For students with at least one successful semester completed at App State, please apply below for immediate consideration.
For students new to App State, we invite you to apply to be a TSM In Training. Contingent on a successful first semester, you are invited to attend meetings/events and begin training. Once your first semester is completed and you are in good academic standing you will become a Transfer Student Mentor. We ask that you attend at least one meeting a month to observe and contribute (welcome to come to more!), one Transfer Tuesday a month, and two transfer events throughout the semester. Complete the application so we are aware of your interest!
TSM Application - will open again in mid-spring
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 828-262-7877.