Transfer Student Mentors (TSMs) work closely with transfer students to help them throughout their transition and college experience at Appalachian and help with Orientation and Transfer Pre-Orientation (T-POP) sessions, support transfer programming, serve as a mentor to new and incoming students, and create a welcoming environment for transfer students at Appalachian. TSMs develop leadership and mentorship skills through service learning.
- Have transferred to Appalachian State from another college or university
- Attend weekly meetings on Wednesdays at 5:00 PM during the fall and spring semesters
- Mentors average 50 - 80 hours of service per semester
- Be able to attend ALL trainings and required events
- Mentors help with Orientations scheduled during the summer session
- Mentors must be available for Orientation and welcome weekend prior to the start of each semester
- Exhibit strong leadership potential and experience
- Be in good academic standing with the University and maintain a GPA average of 2.5 or higher (for any first semester student offered a position, the position will be contingent upon first semester grades)
- Be in good judicial standing with the University
Selection process for Fall 2023: Applicants need to submit an application and attend the candidate interview social AND the individual interviews to be considered.
TSM Interest Meeting: Wednesday, October 18 at 5:15pm in the Solarium (PSU 118)
Candidate Interview Social: Wednesday, November 8 at 5pm in MLH
Individual Interviews: November 13-16, 2023
Decisions emailed: November 17, 2023
Training begins: December 2023 - Winter Break (Google Classroom)
Mandatory TSM Retreat/Training: Thursday, January 11, 2024
Spring Orientation Dates
Welcome to App events: TBD
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 828-262-7877.