Gen Ed Exchange and Reverse Transfer

Gen Ed Exchange

In order for a transfer student to complete ASU's General Education requirements as efficiently as possible, the Transfer Advisory Board has established a policy that will allow students entering Appalachian from a North Carolina Community College to complete the Transfer Core, Associate in Arts and Associate in Science after entering Appalachian with the following requirements:

  1. Students must need less than 11 semester hours (under full time status) to be eligible
  2. Students must complete the coursework within one semester with an appeal process for extenuating circumstances
  3. Students must complete a contract stating intention to complete
  4. Student must earn grades of “C” or better to align with the North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement

Contact Beth Watts if a student may be eligible for Gen Ed Exchange. An attribute will be added to the student’s record (SGASADD) to indicate the student is completing Gen Ed Exchange.

Reverse Transfer

North Carolina's Reverse Transfer Program is a state initiative in which students are awarded credit they have already earned or will earn at the four year university. The program is designed to award an associate degree to students who previously attended a North Carolina Community College and fulfilled the associate degree requirements while working towards a bachelor’s degree at a North Carolina university.

Reverse Transfer: Procedure for Students

  1. Log into Appalnet and click on student tab
  2. You will receive a Pop-Up requesting participation
  3. You can ignore the “pop up” twice. The third time it appears, you will have to make a selection in order to access “student information.”
  4. By virtue of “opt in”, you sign an agreement stating that you will follow Appalachian’s curriculum towards the baccalaureate degree and that you understand that academic advisors and/or the Office of Transfer Services cannot provide advising for community college coursework.
  5. Once you “opt in” no further action from you is required.

NOTE: If you are awarded the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree through the Reverse Transfer program, Appalachian will honor the degree to meet our General Education requirements. Your advisor can only advise you on Appalachian’s degree requirements. It is your responsibility to understand your community college requirements for completing an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree.

Frequently Asked Questions

Please see the official Reverse Transfer Program  for eligibility and answers to all your questions.