Reference the chart below based on your student type
Transfer Admission Process
- Transfer applicants should apply to App State via the transfer application. This application is for students who have never attended App State previously.
- Plan on applying months in advance of the entry term you intend to start at Appalachian. Appalachian State University admits transfer students on a rolling basis for each semester until the class is full. We suggest completed application and materials be submitted by February 15th for a fall or summer term and October 15th for a spring term.
- Pay the application fee or submit a completed Official Application Fee Waiver.
- Applicants will receive a myMountaineer account login through email to track the status of their application.
- Remember a completed application includes all official college transcript(s).
- A final high school transcript and SAT or ACT scores are required if transferring with less than 24 hours (test scores are optional for 2020-2023 due to Covid).
- Additional information may be requested after submission of your application. These items will be viewable in your myMountaineer portal. Students progressing through the admission process are encouraged to check their portal often as new information and enrollment steps will be added as you are admitted and you confirm your enrollment.
- Applicants claiming North Carolina residency must request a residency determination through the Residency Determination Service.
- Visit Appalachian to make sure it's the right fit! Transfer and App State Online Information Sessions are opportunities to participate in a presentation & tour with representatives from Transfer Admissions and Engagement. Learn more and register.
Cost and Aid
- Visit our Cost and Aid page to understand the expected costs of attending Appalachian. Note that many of our main campus transfer students live off campus and would only pay tuition and fees. Financial aid awards do include housing and meal costs in their estimates. Students receiving financial aid may qualify for a refund (aid award less Appalachian costs that can be used to help pay rental fees and groceries). Refunds usually are awarded a week prior to the start of the semester. Housing costs for off-campus rentals vary significantly and range between $400-$1000+ per month. Students can research off-campus housing costs through Off-Campus Student Services.
- Fees differ depending on if a student is completeing a main campus or App State Online program.
- Financial Aid and Scholarships are available to help make education accessible. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application to start the process; priority consideration is March 1. Transfer scholarships are available for summer/fall start main campus transfer students with a scholarship deadline of March 1 (admission application must be completed by February 15).