Transferring Credits

Transfer Credit Policy

Transferability refers to the conditions under which the University accepts credits from other postsecondary institutions for inclusion in the student’s record.

Transfer credits are accepted only from the regional accrediting institutions listed below:

Preliminary Evaluation

Preliminary Evaluation requests submitted directly to the Office of Transfer Services will be completed within 14 business days. During heavy articulation, the timeframe may be extended up to 20 business days. You can create your own preliminary evaluation prior to your application to Appalachian State University by utilizing the Transfer Equivalency Course Search.

Residency Policy & Credit Limitations

Note: To graduate from Appalachian, an undergraduate student must complete the following in residence:

Tuition Surcharge

In accordance with North Carolina law and under the direction of UNC General Administration, the North Carolina tuition surcharge policy is in place at Appalachian State University. This policy applies to all undergraduate students at ASU who are in a degree program and have completed at least eight semesters of college or university study since high school graduation.

Transfer Equivalency Course Search

The Transfer Equivalency Course Search is used to determine how courses completed at other institutions may transfer to Appalachian State University.

International Credit

Students who have attended any college or university outside of the United States and wish to receive transfer credit at Appalachian will need to have their transcript(s) evaluated by a NACES-accredited foreign credential evaluation service.

Military Credit

Articulation Agreements

Articulation Agreements are formal agreements between two or more colleges and universities documenting the transfer policies for a specific academic program or degree in general.